Note: I welcome any and all readers. I hope that, if you find yourself here, you find comfort in our story as I have found comfort in the stories of so many other moms and dads who have traveled this lonely road.

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Invisible Parents

I am still surprised every time something happens to remind me of just how invisible we are as parents of a stillborn baby. I found out recently that a Public Health Nurse is supposed to visit all new moms at least two or three times, not only to make sure the baby is thriving and feeding, etc., but to make sure the mom is coping alright with all of the post-birth hormones, and specifically to make sure she is not slipping into postpartum depression. But for me, and for so many other moms like me, there was no phone call. No visit.

I thought at first that I must have missed the call or there was some mistake, but when I mentioned it to my therapist, she confirmed that it is not standard practice to check up on bereaved moms. She thought maybe it was because the hospital recommends therapy to the parents, or they might assume that a parent wanting support will contact someone for support. The problem is, when you are the parent of a stillborn baby, it is agonizing to make calls for any reason that requires you to talk about your loss. Believe me, after four calls to EI, I never wanted to use the phone again.

I think it is a poor excuse to say that no one really knows how to handle this kind of loss. Doesn't the medical community owe it to bereaved mothers to give them the same support that everyone else gets? Particularly because mothers of stillborn babies are at a much higher risk for postpartum depression, PTSD, anxiety, etc.

Dr. Ruta Nonacs, discussing miscarriage in her book A Deeper Shade of Blue, says "Experiencing a stillbirth or neonatal death probably puts you at an even higher risk for depression; one study indicated that a mother's risk for depression after stillbirth is about seven times higher than a woman who has a live birth." And another study (click here) confirms that link.

So why are we ignored?

My husband and I have a large network of friends and family who have supported us through this tragedy, but so many other couples don't have that. Even I, with all of the support and understanding that I have been gifted with, feel let down.

I hope that parents like us continue to speak out about their experiences and let the medical community know that we should not be ignored. We are still moms and dads, and we still need support. That is why I plan to contact Eastern Health about our experience. I will update here about any responses I receive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments by anyone, so long as they are respectful. This is a safe place.