Note: I welcome any and all readers. I hope that, if you find yourself here, you find comfort in our story as I have found comfort in the stories of so many other moms and dads who have traveled this lonely road.

Sunday 11 May 2014

Mother's Day

I have been dreading this day since the day Haven came into the world, silent. I had anticipated this day almost as much as the day I would give birth, because I would be able to celebrate all of the joy she had brought me in those amazing nine months. I bought a special "I love my mommy!" onesie that I would have dressed her in, and I would have brought her to church to be ooh'd and ahh'd over. I would be able to stand with the other moms, and the kids in the church would have gone around, bringing flowers to all of the moms.

Not to be.

I decided right away that I would not be visiting church today, because I couldn't bear the thought of standing...or not standing. I couldn't decide if getting a flower or not getting a flower would be worse. I knew I would weep buckets, no matter what, and crying in front of people is something that makes me uncomfortable. At first, my husband didn't understand, but he supported my decision to stay home (he'll be coming home from work early to cook me supper and snuggle in front of some cheesy movie of my choice). He also posted an incredibly sweet message to me on facebook. I couldn't ask for a better man to be my partner on this unexpected path.

A good friend sent me this article (click here) yesterday, and it put into words some of the feelings I've been feeling, as well as some of the thoughts I've had about other moms and women in my life. I know so many women in these various situations, so I chose to represent them in my facebook status today:
Sometimes things happen in our lives that make us see things we never saw before. So...

Today I am thinking of my friends whose mothers are sick, and those whose mothers are no longer here. I'm thinking of those whose relationship with their mother or child is not a happy one. I'm thinking of the adoptive and foster moms, and of the moms who made the loving choice to give up their child for adoption. I'm thinking of the many moms I have met who are like me, having lost their child (some of whom are bravely walking the pregnancy road again). I'm thinking of the women who are battling infertility and longing to start a family. I'm thinking of the new moms, and the moms to be. And I'm thinking of my mom, who always worked hard to give us the best life possible.

Mother's Day means a lot of different things to different people. Today is bittersweet, because I ache to hold my beautiful daughter. She brought us a surplus of joy in the short time she was here, and we will always have that. I long for the day when I will hold her again, and I look forward to someday building a family with my wonderful, kind husband.
I know that, if you are reading this, you have probably lost a child. Please know that I am thinking of you today. Please know that you will always be a mom, even if your child is not here with you. Be kind to yourself today, and every day.

Crocuses always make me think of hope, pushing up from the cold, dead ground.
This one gave me a moment of faith in the idea that someday
we will have "take home" babies of our own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments by anyone, so long as they are respectful. This is a safe place.